Kueh Lopes is a popular traditional delicacy for Singaporeans. Happy Family Glutinous Rice is wrapped with banana leaf in a triangular shape, then steamed and coated with shredded coconut, topped with a generous drizzle of Gula Melaka syrup.
Have guests popping by? Just serve a slice of kueh lopes with a cup of traditional coffee for a perfect local afternoon tea.
Servings: about 10 – 11 pieces
- 2 cups of Happy Family Glutinous Rice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 – 4 pandan leaves
- 3 – 4 banana leaves
- 300g Gula Melaka
- 150 grams of grated coconut
- Wash, rinse glutinous rice and soak in water for 1 hour.
- Drain out water and place in a plate.
- Cut and heat up the banana leaf for easy folding.
- Fold to form a triangle and fill with soaked glutinous rice.
- Secure with toothpick.
- Boil for 1.5 hours fully submerged in water.
- In a medium pan, pour in Gula Melaka and water over medium heat.
- Steam coconut with salt and pandan leave.
- Take out the triangle glutinous rice and let it cool down completely before remove the wrapping.
- Roll in shredded coconut and drizzle with Gula Melaka syrup.
- Ready to serve.